CORA’s Peer Helper Program fosters leadership and enables students to mentor younger children and serve as positive role models. CORA Counselors run Peer Helper Programs at 6 area Catholic grade schools, St. Anselm, St. Christopher, St. Martha, St. Matthew, Blessed Trinity and Holy Innocents. Peer Helpers is approaching its 25th anniversary and CORA is excited to celebrate this impactful program.
The CORA Peer Helper Scholarship was established in 2017 to reward an exceptional 8th grade student for their participation in our Peer Helper Program. Eligible candidates must be planning on attending a parochial or private high school and already have confirmation of their acceptance. Only students who have exhibited leadership potential and behavior that aligns with CORA’s mission of care and compassion will be considered.
To be considered for the 2018 Peer Helper Scholarship, an applicant will need to meet the following requirements:
- Must be an 8th grade student enrolled at one of CORA’s Peer Helper Schools
- Must be in good academic standing with an average of at least 80%
- Must participate in extracurricular activities (in addition to the Peer Helper Program)
- Must obtain a Recommendation Letter describing what makes them an exemplary candidate
- Must submit the Written Reflection outlined below
- Must obtain a parent or guardian’s signature approving CORA to publicize the awardee’s name and photograph on CORA’s webpage and social media sites
- The CORA Peer Helper Award winner will be invited to speak at the Peer Helper Conference in October of 2018. If they are unable to attend, they will be expected to submit a written statement that will be read to the participants.
Applications for the CORA Peer Helper Scholarship Award must be submitted by Friday, February 23rd, 2018. Please email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail or deliver hard copies to Rachel McGonigle – 3rd Floor, Administration, CORA Services, 8540 Verree Road, Philadelphia, PA 19111.
Written Reflection: Please prepare at least 3 – 4 paragraphs. Use your own words and handwrite neatly. Choose one of the following Dr. Seuss Books and discuss how the lessons from the book relate to your Peer Helper experience. Please provide specific examples with details of your personal experiences. It is recommend that you to use a quote from the book.
- Oh! The Places You’ll Will Go!
- Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?
- Horton Hears a Who!
Download application here CORA Peer Helper Scholarship Award 2018
The Scholarship selection committee will include a member of the CORA Services administrative team, a representative of the CORA School Services Division, a representative of the CORA Community Services Division and a member of CORA’s Board of Directors.
CORA Services and CORA’s Board of Directors reserve the right to rescind the gift if it is determined by the scholarship committee that the awardee has behaved in a way that does not align with CORA’s mission of care and compassion.